Friday 12 April 2013

Field Trip to Central Market- 22nd March 2013




The Central Market is located in Kuala Lumpur in a town named "Pasar Seni". It was a Friday afternoon and the whether was not so great. Due to the heavy rain I did not want to step out of my home but the fact that I have always heard people talk about this place (Central Market) and that it was one of the major tourist attractions in Malaysia, I decided that it wont be a big deal to get drenched in the rain once in awhile so took a taxi to the Central Market with two of my other classmates.
As I entered I saw many ornaments for sale as well as clothing (batik) and other items like bags, wooden tables/ objects etc. This was none other than the best tourist attraction in Kuala Lumpur! it was like Christmas in every shop, literally i mean. 


Men and women from most middle east countries/ Asian countries put up stalls to sell their products in this Central Market. 





This man is Pakistani and specializes in selling hand crafted wooden tables/ drawers/stools/ boxes etc. All the ornaments have detailed intricate designs carved on them. One item is sold at the price of 50rm-60rm.





I also met a Young lady from Myanmar selling turquoise stones/ pearls there were different kinds of jewerlery( mostly rings/ necklaces made with the original turquoise stone and pearls). I loved the blue Turquoise rings! 

  
I also came across many stalls where different types of  Artist's showcase all their work (displayed for Sale). Batik painting is the most famous form of Art. They can be seen as real true works of art. No two are exactly alike! The batik painting from famous Malaysian artists such as Tuan Haji Abdullah Haji Yusof and Indonesian painters such as Raden Saleh, command high prices on the international market and at auctions in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta. In the Central Market I found a young married couple who sold Batik paintings as a part time job/ hobby. when I asked them how they termed it as, they said that it was called "wax painting" they use the wax to make intricate details on the canvas cloth and then paint over it, the parts that come out clean are the areas where the wax has been applied. Its quite interesting how the patterns are formed by the use of wax. 


Wax Painting (Batik)
Another form of Art that I came across was "Sand Art" where coloured sand is placed in glass bottles forming detailed intricate designs.




No comments:

Post a Comment